File transfer from Linux to Android-device not working

Forum / NoMachine for Mobile / File transfer from Linux to Android-device not working

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    dreas1957
    Participant

Hi, I just installed NoMachine 8.13.1 on my Lenovo Thinkpad T470, running Mint 21.3, and downloaded ver.8.7.1 from GooglePlay onto my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra, model name SM-S908E,

I can connect from Android to PC, can control PC from Android, but if I try “File Transfer” I am presented with the file-manager on PC, I select a file somewhere, press OK, and then the screen sort of flickers, goes black, and the connection to PC is terminated, Android app is shut down….

I tried: -restart phone, no avail

– power down, switch back on phone: no avail

– checked permissions for app ( because occasionally, within the flickering,  there was a glimpse of a page with some
    wording of permission, but only for fractions of a second!), but I can not give the app any permission except for the
    microphone!

Any ideas?

Tor
    Participant

Hi. We could reproduce the same behaviour (with some differences between multiple Android versions), but we’re still unsure about what triggers the issue. In all cases, in order to work around it we had to enable the disk access (you was right in your analysis). You can do that on One UI by opening Settings, Apps, top right dots menu, Special access, All files access, turn on NoMachine. We also noticed that the file destination panel has a wrong layout, it is too thin. Whatever happened, did break the app pretty well! I’m sorry for that, we’ll publish a fix in our next update. Disk permissions should be required only when you want to upload a file from any allowed system folder, not necessarily when you download a file (it would be saved in the app’s private storage).

dreas1957
    Participant

Hi Tor, thanks for the info, I did as you suggested and turned on All files access. Now after clicking “Download from server” I can select a file, press OK, then the destination panel shows, but:

– when I tried first I could only select between two destinations:
    either in Folder: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.nomachine.nxplayer
    or:                        /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.nomachine.nxplayer/files

When I hit “Save” the file is actually copied to the selected destination, but I only could find out by connecting my phone to my Laptop, because if you try to open the folder “Android/data” on the phone itself it tells you:

“Due to Android restrictions, the contents of this folder can only be shown on a computer”

– trying again now, to find out if I missed something ,without disconnecting or anything, I only am presented with
    ” Look in: /storage/emulated/0/Android/data” and I can not change that all!

Obviously, this is rather useless, because the purpose of transferring a file to the phone is to have it available there….

Did I miss something?

Tor
    Participant

We’ve investigated the problem, it is caused by a wrong disk permissions check for file transfer that causes a bunch of wrong behaviours. One of them causes the issue you noticed: the app doesn’t correctly check file system it has access to, and limits the folders that can be navigated with the file browser. A way to work around that is deleting the file /Android/data/com.nomachine.nxplayer/files/.nx/config/player.cfg to force the app to initialize again some settings after enabling the All files access. The new default folder will be Downloads, which is for sure better than using the app private storage, but for the same reasons I said above it won’t allow to navigate to another folder.

dreas1957
    Participant

Hi Tor,

thanks again, I tried as you suggested:

– connect phone to laptop to have access to “data” folder

– navigate to /Android/data/com.nomachine.nxplayer/files/.nx

– folder is shown as empty, when I double-click I get error:

– as I just had updated my phone I thought the player needs to run, and I would get that file then, so that’s what I did

– even then, the folder.nx was still empty

– out of curiosity I tried a file transfer, and, surprise, surprise, it works as you said, default folder is Downloads, transfer works fine!

Tor
    Participant

Hey Dreas, I’m happy that somehow you got it working, I’ll make sure that it becomes more easy and consistent.
    Could I ask you to write the error you got when double clicking the .nx folder? Somehow your message was not added to your post, and I’d like to know details because it seems there are other things to investigate on One UI.
    Thank you!

dreas1957
    Participant

Hi Tor, this is the error:

The folder contents could not be displayed.

Sorry, could not display all the contents of  “.nx”:libmtb error: could not get object handles of 00000obb.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please login .