Quick uncapture keyboard input key [Feature Request]

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / Quick uncapture keyboard input key [Feature Request]

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    nomachine_beginner
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve just started using NoMachine. I’m using Ubuntu, Xorg. Previously I used VirtualBox with a host key configured to be the Right Alt.

VirtualBox captured all keys in its VM window, but when I pressed Right Alt, I could then use shortcuts that would be sent to the host, instead of the VM.

So I would keep the VM on the first Ubuntu workspace, then press Right Alt, switch to other workspaces in Ubuntu to work on some stuff in the host environment. Specifically I had Super+V for example to switch to the 4th Ubuntu workspace. Super+Z would switch me to the first workspace where I kept the VM and it would immediately start capturing keys and send them inside the VM once I switched to that workspace (because the VM got the focus I assume).

I’d like the same workflow in NoMachine. Currently I only have these options:

1. Press the right top corner to open NoMachine settings, then I’m able to switch to another Ubuntu workspace on the host computer.
    When I switch back to the first workspace I have to additionally press Esc to close NoMachine settings window.

2. Ctrl+Alt+M to minimize the NoMachine session window. It still requires more clicks, and I’ve found that it doesn’t immediately restore full keyboard capturing for some reason.

3. Ctrl+Alt+K to toggle keyboard capturing. This still requires multiple presses and more keys to press at once, which makes it less convenient.

So I would like to ask if there is already a way to do what I want, i.e. pressing Right Alt uncaptures keyboard temporarily (until I make any click inside NoMachine window or until I trigger its focus like when navigating to another workspace and back in Ubuntu). This is how it works in VirtualBox and it’s the most convenient option, as personally I rarely use Right Alt. But of course a different key can be configured too, like F1, depending on which one the user rarely uses otherwise.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please login .