Swapping Command/Ctrl between Mac/PC

Forum / General Discussions / Swapping Command/Ctrl between Mac/PC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Per
    Participant

Hi,

What is the status of having the ability to swap Command/Ctrl keys when controlling a Mac from a PC? I’ve been experimenting with NoMachine, but this is becoming a deal-breaker, and I’m starting to give up on NoMachine.

It’s just too hard to switch machines. I have to suppress 30 years of motor memory to use a Mac with native keys. Even the Mac itself allows you to switch these keys for a physical keyboard, but NoMachine bypasses this.

I’ve seen many others request this, but the NoMachine developers have continuously stated that this is a very low priority, which is disheartening.

I could easily stick with NoMachine and abandon every other remote control adventure I’ve been on. But these modifiers are a deal-breaker.

What is the current status of this feature?

Per

Britgirl
    Keymaster

Hi, this is what the plan is for version 9. We are going to provide the following options: i) The default behaviour as it is now, which is that the Windows key is mapped to Command; and ii) the possibility to map Ctrl to Command and Windows key to Ctrl. By enabling the option ii), it means that pressing Ctrl-c or Ctrl-v on a Windows client will be mapped to Command-c and Command-v on the Mac server. Note that this new option could have side-effects on other shortcuts such as the shortcut used for cycling through application windows.

Per
    Participant

What is the timeline for this feature. It’s only that I saw it mentioned for version 9 several years ago, and the software still seems to be in version 8.

Obviously, you have to do what’s right for your development. I only have to say that going back and forth between Windows and Mac is exquisitely painful. I don’t understand the low priority this has had. This would be a version 1 priority featureĀ for me.

Unless this is immediately around the corner, I think I have to move on, because it really does negate everything else NoMachine has to offer. Am I correct in interpreting that this could easily be years in the future?

Per

Britgirl
    Keymaster

The current version is 8.13. The feature you are requesting was always scheduled for NoMachine 9, priority of which has been NoMachine Network (https://www.nomachine.com/network). Version 9 development is coming to a close now, so there’s not long to wait. Now that development on v9 starts to ease up, it has allowed us to concentrate on features, vital for our users, and swapping command/ctrl is one of them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please login .