Is VirtualGL working correctly?

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / Is VirtualGL working correctly?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    boospy
    Participant

Hello all,

• I’ve downloaded NoMachine Worstation EVAL 8.14.2_1.
    • Server: HPE Proliant ML350G10
    • GPU Nvidia RTX A2000 (Full featured)
    • OS Kubuntu 24.04 LTS
    • Driver Nvidia 550.107.02

Basically with normal X11 Login everything is working fine with the card. If I log in with NoMachine virtual desktop, applications such as the desktop, video editing, games, do not use the graphics card. Only 3 processes:

• Displaymanager
    • Xserver
    • Nxnode

On the NoMachine Client I see this line:

2552×1324, 60FPS, HW encoding, H.264, NVENC, SW decoding

Doesn’t that actually mean that it should work? VirtualGL is enabled and X11VectorGraphics is disabled.

GLXInfo show me that: There doesn’t seem to be a code block or anything like that here, so I was able to copy it in like this.

————————————————————————-

server glx vendor string: SGI

client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI

GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_gl_interop, GLX_MESA_query_renderer,

GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, GLX_MESA_query_renderer, GLX_SGIS_multisample,

Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):

Vendor: Mesa (0xffffffff)

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa

OpenGL renderer string: llvmpipe (LLVM 17.0.6, 256 bits)

————————————————————————-

According to the datasheet, NoMachine Workstation can handle GPUs. Am I doing something wrong?

Britgirl
    Keymaster

All NoMachine Linux Terminal Server products support VirtualGL, including the evaluation version. You need to enable VirtualGL first, so this is the first thing you should check. How to do that is explained in the following article:

How to enable VirtualGL support on Linux in NoMachine
    https://kb.nomachine.com/AR05P00982

In short, the commands to use are sudo /etc/NX/nxserver --virtualglinstall and sudo /etc/NX/nxserver --virtualgl yes. But please consult the article for full steps.

Let us know if following those steps helps.

In your output of the client, we can see that HW encoding is working correctly. On the client side the session is using software decoding, and not hardware decoding. If this is not what you expected on the client side (we are not sure from what you wrote), you should send us logs from the device you are connecting from and we will check them. See this article (step 4) https://kb.nomachine.com/DT07S00243.

boospy
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I have already set up VirtualGL according to these instructions.

What I would like is that applications in the KDE desktop, such as Steam, KDEnlive, video player…, or even the whole desktop uses the Nvidia GPU. That was my plan.

Attached is the log I created according to the instructions and a Screenshot from the NX Client on my local machine.

boospy
    Participant

What I also noticed is that the variable has no value here, but it should according to the instructions.

env | grep LD_PRELOAD

LD_PRELOAD=

Britgirl
    Keymaster

Can you send us the node.cfg file of the NoMachine server, and also the output of this command:

/usr/NX/scripts/vgl/vglrun glxinfo | grep -i “renderer\|vendor”

In the logs we can see that the server sets the LD_PRELOAD library. Maybe is not set in your user profile?

boospy
    Participant

Hello @Britgirl and thank you for your answer. I’ve executed the command on active NoMachine Session on Kubuntu Desktop:

——–

Authorization required, but no authorization protocol specified

[VGL] ERROR: Could not open display :0.

——–
    I find the output strange, I mean… I’m on the desktop and the command says that no display can be opened.

In the logs we can see that the server sets the LD_PRELOAD library. Maybe is not set in your user profile?

The variable is displayed/read out correctly when I log in on the physical screen. Unfortunately not via the virtual Nomachine session. node.cfg is attached.

Attachments:
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Please login .