NoMachine audio and mic setup

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / NoMachine audio and mic setup

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    prakashsinha bayas
    Participant

Hello,

In continuous to an earlier post at link https://forum.nomachine.com/topic/garbled-audio-microphone-redirect-2, below revisions help setup both audio and mic for the NoMachine remote client.

Upon login to a remote system, by default mic is disabled, I enable it.

Test is with device OpenMove by shokz…

Default sink is nx_audio_in

Default source is nx_remapped_out

With this source, mic is configured correctly. I could record from a sound recorder software. I cannot hear recorded sound.

I apply below script, 

pactl -- set-default-source nx_voice_out.monitor

pactl -- set-default-sink nx_voice_out

pactl -- set-sink-volume 4 96%

pactl -- set-sink-volume 5 96%

pactl -- set-source-volume 5 96%

pactl -- set-source-volume 6 96%

pactl -- set-source-volume 7 144%

I navigate to settings’ interface. I update audio sink to another sink, External Monitor Audio. I could hear recorded sound from external monitor audio. I update sink back to OpenMove by Shokz. I could start hearing audio by this device also. Both mic and audio are functional after this configuration.

(With updated defaults, audio does bleed from mic into audio sink. I can hear my own voice from this monitor sink at distance.)

Please find attached configuration files in here with this ticket for introspection…

thank you.

Britgirl
    Keymaster

Please include the Linux distribution details and desktop environment to keep everything in one topic. The attachments were not accepted, so the best thing to do is to zip them up and send to forum[at]nomachine[dot]com. Thanks!

prakashsinha bayas
    Participant

Please find attached zip archive file 20240609.vdi.zip.

remote Linux distribution is Ubuntu (Ubuntu 22.04.4 LTS jammy). Desktop environment is gnome…

Thank you britgirl.

Attachments:
    kubaszym1
    Participant

Hi,

Here are the expected audio settings:

1) virtual session: default speaker: nx_audio_in, default microphone: nx_remapped_out

2) physical session: default speaker: built-in speaker or other device (headphones, monitor speakers etc. – in case there’s no physical device nx_audio_in is created). default microphone – nx_remapped_out

nx_voice_out shouldn’t be set as the default speaker because it is used for handling  voice. In the virtual session you shoudn’t see any devices other than NoMachine virtual devices (nx_audio_in, nx_voice_out, nx_remapped_out). What is more, nx_remapped_out is a remapped source based on nx_voice_out.monitor so if you set nx_voice_out as a speaker and nx_remapped_out as a microphone, there is a high possibility you will experience echo or other strange effects.

With this source, mic is configured correctly. I could record from a sound recorder software. I cannot hear recorded sound.

Do you mean hear that you cannot hear recordings made in a virtual session? You have nx_audio_in set as a default speaker which is typical for virtual sessions.

I navigate to settings’ interface. I update audio sink to another sink, External Monitor Audio.

Do you describe the behaviour in a physical session from this point? You shouldn’t be able to set External Monitor Audio in a virtual session.

Please let me also know if you are able to get the expected audio settings that I described above.

Best regards,

Kuba

prakashsinha bayas
    Participant

hey kuba,

to begin with, the root cause identification dated back to a few years,

From my research online, below set of instructions, help us resolve both audio and mic issues from a given dumb terminal to the virtual desktop interface (vdi) from NoMachine client-server interconnection both at home and in office premise.

1 enable mic post login to a nomachine session

2 execute below scripts

rm -r ~/.config/pulse*

pulseaudio -k

sudo /etc/NX/nxserver –restart

3 enable mic post login to a new nomachine session

source:= https://askubuntu.com/a/1129761

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.