6.9.2_1 does not seem to fix kde problem

Forum / NoMachine for Linux / 6.9.2_1 does not seem to fix kde problem

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    cro
    Participant

Greetings,

I eagerly awaited the release of 6.9.2 as it was rumored to fix the problem with KDE 5.17 not starting.  I installed it today, and I still am unable to start a KDE session.  I get “The session negotiation failed.” from the NoMachine client, and in the associated log I see

dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-dz9Rz9hRmC: Connection refused
    Warning: Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font
    startkde: Starting up...
    Could not sync environment to dbus.

My DefaultDesktopCommand, per instructions in

https://www.nomachine.com/AR03L00789

and

https://www.nomachine.com/TR10Q09440

is
    DefaultDesktopCommand "env -u WAYLAND_DISPLAY /usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session /usr/bin/startplasma-x11"

Suggestions?  This is on Manjaro (Arch).

og00r
    Contributor

Can you try start session without dbus? Just change DefaultDesktopCommand in node.cfg to:

DefaultDesktopCommand "/usr/bin/dbus-launch --sh-syntax /usr/bin/startplasma-x11"

and try again

also could you give us version of yours dbus-launch? and Manjaro version?
    Any logs in /var/log or journactl (if available)?

cro
    Participant

dbus-launch version:

$ dbus-launch --version
    D-Bus Message Bus Launcher 1.12.16

Manjaro is based on Arch, and as such is a rolling release, so there isn’t really a version number. I am up to date as of this morning.

But I think I figured out something that will work, it’s not a 100% fix, but it’s a decent workaround. The primary issue seems to be that when KDE starts it has trouble with making/attaching to a dbus session. With 5.17+ it seems to expect a session to be present to attach to. A little more research indicated that for users, systemd should create the session on login. So I updated /etc/pam.d/nx to include the same content that is in /etc/pam.d/system-local-login. Now KDE works when I login via NX.

The drawback is that a user is supposed to have only one “session”–if you login via GUI and then ssh to the same machine as the same user, you should be attached to the same session in both places. This doesn’t seem to happen–on my Debian Buster machine with KDE I only have one session when NX and ssh’ed in. On Manjaro I have two sessions.

Or maybe I’m mistaken and two sessions is the right behavior and Debian is not working right.

Bilbotine
    Participant

Hi cro,

We have not been able to reproduce the same problems, but you should also change the other *.cfg key:

AvailableSessionTypes unix-remote,unix-console,unix-default,unix-application,physical-desktop,shadow

to:

AvailableSessionTypes unix-remote,unix-console,unix-default,unix-application,physical-desktop,shadow,unix-xsession-default,unix-xdm

in both:

/usr/NX/etc/node.cfg

/usr/NX/etc/server.cfg

Let us know if this helps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.