Any problems with Enterprise Client 4.0.314 and El Capitan?

Forum / NoMachine for Mac / Any problems with Enterprise Client 4.0.314 and El Capitan?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Smudger
    Participant

Hi

NoMachine Enterprise Client is essential for my continued employment. I’m reluctant to upgrade to El Capitan (OS X 10.11) without knowing that NX will continue to work. I see there have been some issues with Client V5.0.43 reported but cannot see any relating to Enterprise Client 4.0.314 Does anyone have any experience with this version under El Capitan?

Many thanks.

Smudger

Britgirl
    Participant

El Capitan came out in June I believe, so in theory the older version of NoMachine (4.0.x) doesn’t actually support El Capitan since it’s a version of NoMachine from 2014 when Mac OS X 12 wasn’t available. NoMachine 4.0 has since been superseded. No one has reported any problems with such an older version because the majority of our users have a more recent version installed. We always recommend users download the latest version in order to get the most recent fixes.

Any issues that are reported on El Capitan will be fixed in one of the next updates to version 5.

Smudger
    Participant

Your reply don’t exactly fill me with confidence.

First off: what is Mac OS X 12 and how does that relate to my query?

… in theory the older version of NoMachine (4.0.x) …  Are you saying it might, or that it definitely won’t, work under El Capitan?

Any issues that are reported … I can’t afford the time to update to El Capitan, find that V4.0.x doesn’t work, update to V5.y, find that doesn’t quite work yet and have to revert to Yosemite. That is about 5 hours of my life I won’t get back, quite apart from being without an NX connection to my office during that time!

How do I get a definitive assurance that a particular version of NX Client works under El Capitan?

Thanks

Smudger

Britgirl
    Participant

Mac OS X 12 – A typo. I meant to write 11. El Capitan is the 11th release, also known as 10.11.

Anyway, let me try and explain better. You are using an old version of 4 (4.0.x) and it was replaced by subsequent versions of NoMachine, the last one being 4.6. When this was released El Capitan was still in beta so naturally it was tested with Apple’s own beta software. No issues were reported at the time.  Then September 30th El Capitan was officially made available to the public. As you probably know testing software compatibility with third party beta applications doesn’t guarantee that issues won’t arise when that third party app comes out of beta. We released NoMachine 5 the day after. Similarly to version 4.6, in the run up to the release of NoMachine 5, it was tested using Apple’s beta version.

In the 2 weeks that have passed we’ve obviously been testing our own software heavily with the official El Capitan. We generally aim to be completely compatible within 30 days of a supported operating system production release (though I add that no software provider can give any one assurance that a software will be bug free), and also according to our own release schedule. So, any issues that you are reading about now certainly have the next NoMachine update (and this will be version 5.x) as a target release for fixes.

Useful reading about our policies:

https://www.nomachine.com/AR03E00450

https://www.nomachine.com/AR08C00250

https://www.nomachine.com/AR07H00568

Smudger
    Participant

Britgirl

Many thanks for the clarification.

Reading between the lines: V4.0.x might but probably won’t work; later versions of V5.x will with the proviso that there may be latent “features”. 🙂

Cheers

Smudger

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.