NoMachine resolution is only 640×480

Forum / General Discussions / NoMachine resolution is only 640×480

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jcpollman
    Participant

I am running VMs in Proxmox with an Nvidia P4 card passed through – straight pass through, not virtualized. With NoMachine I only get a 640×480 screen – both with Windows 11 and Ubuntu VMs – obviously not running at the same time. When I connect to them with rdp, I get 1920×1080 for both.

Thoughts?

Britgirl
    Keymaster

Hi,

is NoMachine installed on the OS of the physical hardware or is it running in the virtual machines (which I understand to be Windows and Ubuntu)?

When you go into the control panel of the OS of each of the VM, what resolutions do you see?

If you go in to the control panel of the OS of the physical host, what resolutions do you see?

How are you using RDP to connect? Are you using it to connect to the VM or to the OS of the server?

jcpollman
    Participant

I got it working in the Linux VM, so I am guessing it is a video driver issue with the Windows VM

Britgirl
    Keymaster

Hi, thanks for the update. Indeed it seems to be a Proxmox issue, not a NoMachine issue.

NoMachine (Free Edition, I’m assuming that’s what you are using) just connects to the physical session which is started already and we can use configurations which are available in that physical session. That’s why I asked to see was the resolutions are showing in the control panel.

On Linux you can get a virtual display with NoMachine. To do that you just make your Linux headless (sudo init 3 and sudo /etc/NX/nxserver --restart) and you will be able to create a desktop with NoMachine’s own embedded X server. More details are here: https://kb.nomachine.com/AR03P00973.

When you connect with native RDP to Windows you are getting a virtual display, not the physical one. With NoMachine you cannot connect to a Windows virtual display. However, in this link you can find out how to configure Proxmox with Windows 11, there are some instructions on how to get the resolution you prefer: https://devpress.csdn.net/linux/62ea2f1720df032da732ad91.html

jcpollman
    Participant

I got it mostly working: 1366×768 (which is much better than 640×480, but not up to the 1920×1080)  I had to use the “grid” driver I found a link to on Reddit instead of the Windows driver Nvidia provided me (ya, I know, should have been intuitively obvious to the casual observer, right?). This changed the card from TCC to WDDM. So, NoMachine has nothing to do with the issue.

Thanks for your support

JC

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

This topic was marked as solved, you can't post.