NoMachine Monitor could not create the settings directory

Forum / NoMachine for Windows / NoMachine Monitor could not create the settings directory

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    guigrandesi
    Participant

After I downloaded NoMachine, every five minutes, an error pops up saying, “NoMachine Monitor could not create the settings directory. Please check your home directory permissions.”

I checked the other post about this error but didn’t get the answer. NoMachine Forum – Message dialog “NoMachine Monitor could not create the settings directory.” 

I’ve deleted and reinstalled NoMachine but no success either.

Thanks

NoMachine version: 8.11.3

Windows 10 Pro 22H2

Britgirl
    Keymaster

We would need to see logs to understand the reason for this. Please run the following command from CMD (open as administrator)

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\NoMachine\nxserver\nxserver.exe --debug --enable all

Reproduce the problem, then run:
    %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\NoMachine\nxserver\nxserver.exe --debug --collect

The log archive is created in

%PROGRAMDATA%/NoMachine/var/log/archives

Send it via email to forum[at]nomachine[dot]com making sure to use the title of this topic as the subject. Thanks!

guigrandesi
    Participant

Ok thanks!
    I sent the e-mail.

Britgirl
    Keymaster

Logs show you didn’t reboot as recommended. Please reboot the operating system. If the problem continues, resubmit fresh logs.

guigrandesi
    Participant

I didn’t know the recommendation of rebooting operating system. Anyway, I resbumited the logs via e-mail.

I did:

1) run %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\NoMachine\nxserver\nxserver.exe --debug --enable all;

2) reproduced the error;

3) reboot the system;

4) system initiated and reproduced error again;

5) run %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\NoMachine\nxserver\nxserver.exe --debug --collect

When I enter the commands on cmd, shows an error. Full message:

7292 8376 2024-04-24 09:25:58 989.133 HostHomeDirGet: ERROR! ‘ProfileImagePath’ not found.

7292 8376 2024-04-24 09:25:58 989.133 HostHomeDirGet: ERROR! Cannot retrieve home directory for user ‘LINEUS\re10978g’.

NX> 900 Debug mode enabled for: server

NX> 900 Debug mode enabled for: node

NX> 900 Debug mode enabled for: agent

Tks

Britgirl
    Keymaster

We received the logs thanks.

guigrandesi
    Participant

Hello @Britgirl. I’m still waiting for an answer and the error still happens over and over.

Was it possible to analyze the logs?

Thanks.

Britgirl
    Keymaster

Hi, yes we did. Apologies for not coming back to you sooner. Feedback from our developers suggests that further investigation might require a debug package. I’ll come back to you if that’s the case.

Guro
    Contributor

Hello,

no need for a debug package Britgirl.

When you install NoMachine, it creates user ‘nx’ in the admin group. This is an important account with specific privileges which is used for the internal handling of the program’s operations.

From your logs it appears the ‘nx’ user does not have enough privileges:

5388 7200 2024-04-24 09:28:49 522.932 ValidateNXAccount: ERROR! NX account doesn't have following required privileges:
    5388 7200 2024-04-24 09:28:49 522.932 'SeTcbPrivilege'.
    5388 7200 2024-04-24 09:28:49 522.932 'SeIncreaseQuotaPrivilege'.
    5388 7200 2024-04-24 09:28:49 522.932 'SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege'.

This can happen when using a custom security policy on local workgroup or AD domain.

You can check that user privileges are correctly set using the following command:

secedit /export /areas USER_RIGHTS /cfg OUT.CFG

making sure to run it with local Windows admin account and then with domain administrator account if the Windows host is in an AD domain.

The OUT.CFG will show users by SID not username, but using this command

wmic useraccount get name,sid

allows you to find the username for SID association.

To add/assign privileges for the user you need to use (from Run, a powershell or command prompt)

gpedit.msc -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> User Rights Assignments

or contact your administrator if your machine is part of an AD domain (if you cannot do this).

Running gpedit.msc shows the Local Group Policy Editor. In the policy list:

– click on ‘Act as part of the operating system’. Check if nx user name or nx sid is present in shown, if not, click Add User or Group to add it and choose nx or the nx sid from the list.

– click on ‘Adjust memory quotas for a process’. Check if nx user name or nx sid is present in shown, if not, click Add User or Group to add it and choose nx or the nx sid from the list.

– click on ‘Replace a process level token’. Check if nx user name or nx sid is present in shown, if not, click Add User or Group to add it and choose nx or the nx sid from the list.

– click on ‘Obtain an impersonation token for another user in the same session’. Check if nx user name or nx sid is present in shown, if not, click Add User or Group to add it and choose nx or the nx sid from the list.

We recommend performing the login to Windows as a local workgroup Administrator, checking the NoMachine status and modifying privileges if NoMachine does not start.

If you are installing NoMachine as the domain administrator, then you need check that nx user is not already registered in domain to avoid conflict of user permissions.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.